The Flexible Choices option within Choices for Care is based on the belief that consumers and their families know best how to meet the needs of individuals needing care at home. Flexible Choices offers consumers an allowance, which is based on their needs and the value of their Choices for Care Home Based Service Plan. Then, working with a Flexible Choices consultant, consumers develop a budget to use that allowance in a way that best meets their needs.
Consumers, working with the Flexible Choices consultant, develop their own package of services tailored to their needs. The content of these services is limited by the amount of the consumer’s allowance, program guidelines and what the individual needs to stay healthy and independent. All participants in Flexible Choices receive the following:
- Allowance for care.
- Consultant Services to assist and support consumers in planning their care and developing and managing their budget.
- Fiscal Intermediary Services Organization to help carry manage payroll for consumer-hired workers and other costs associated with care at home.
- Be a Vermont resident.
- Be 65 years of age or older or 18 years of age with a physical disability.
- Be enrolled in Choices for Care and be directing their personal care services through a Consumer or Surrogate Directed option.
- Complete the Self-Screening Tool (CFC 830) so as to indicate a capacity to handle the responsibilities of the option.
- Meet criteria for Consumer or Surrogate Direction established by Choices for Care. (See Employer Agent Certification Form).
- Meet financial criteria for Vermont Long-Term Care Medicaid.
- Meet specific clinical criteria - qualify for nursing home level of care.
Applying for Services
Provider of Services
- ARIS Solutions
Fiscal Intermediary Services Organization (ISO) for payroll
- Transition II
Flexible Choices consultant
- Transition II
Flexible Choices Consultant
Phone: 1-866-572-7127 [Toll Free]
- Flexible Choices Grant Manager
Phone: (802) 241-4496
Policies and Guidelines
- Choices for Care-1115 Highest & High Needs Manual; Section IV.12 - Flexible Choices (January 2007)
Pilot program that allows individuals that have an approved home based service plan to convert their approved hours into a cash allowance to better meet their needs.
- Flexible Choices Brochure
This is an informational brochure on Flexible Choices.
- Flexible Choices Brochure - Text Only
- Choices for Care Brochure
This brochure will help you to determine if the Choices for Care Vermont Long-Term Care Medicaid Program may be able to help you, or someone you know.